2021 APA-HI Chapter Awards: Congratulations to the Recipients!
The APA Hawaii Chapter would like to recognize and congratulate the award recipients of our 2021 Chapter Awards Program. These awards were presented at the virtual Hawaiʻi Congress of Planning Officials Conference on October 7, 2021. The annual awards are given to individuals, communities, private organizations, public agencies, and professional planning and design firms whose work exemplifies our profession's highest goals and ideals. A total of 18 award nominations were submitted for the program's 11 award categories. Nominations were reviewed and winners selected by a jury of professional planners from the APA Hawaii Chapter. The Chapter would like to extend a sincere mahalo to jury members for their time and support. Award categories and this year’s recipients are listed below. Congratulations to the awardees!
The award boards for initiatives receiving awards in each award category are available via the links below. Award boards provide a description of the associated initiative and discuss the initiative's merits.
Grassroots Initiative Special Recognition Award:
Outstanding Planning Award:
- West Kaua‘i Community Plan by the County of Kauai, PBR HAWAII & Associates, Inc., and Opticos Design
Best Practice Award:
- Climate Adaptation Design Principles for Urban Honolulu by the City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning & Permitting, Office of Climate Change, Sustainability & Resiliency, SSFM International, and Arup
- The Hawai‘i Ocean Resources Management Plan 2020 by the State of Hawaii, Office of Planning and Sustainable Development, Coastal Zone Management Program and PBR HAWAII & Associates, Inc.
- County of Hawai‘i Vision Zero Action Plan by the County of Hawai‘i Planning Department, People for Active Transportation Hawai‘i (PATH), SSFM International, Inc. & Peter Koonce
- Pu‘uhonua O Wai‘anae Farm Village by the Pu‘uohonua O Wai‘anae & Dynamic Community Solutions and Group 70 International, Inc.
Economic Development Planning:
- State Transit-Oriented Development Planning and Implementation for the Island of O‘ahu by the State Office of Planning and Sustainable Development, PBR HAWAII and Associates, Inc., DTA, R.M. Towill Corporation, Ronald N.S. Ho and Associates, Inc., CallisonRTKL, Fehr & Peers, Arup
- South Shore Promenade by the State of Hawai‘i Office of Planning and the University of Hawaii Community Design Center (Principal Investigator: Judith Stilgenbauer)
- S. Kalaheo Avenue and Kailua Road Intersection Improvements by the City and County of Honolulu Department of Transportation Services and SSFM International, Inc.
Student Project Award:
- Indigenizing Urban Spaces by Keli‘i Kapali, DArch
- Mother Waldron Playground Cultural Landscape Report by the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation/JACOBS and HHF Planners